Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Joyeux Noelle!

I'm saying Merry Christmas today as I won't be working online tomorrow, I'll be too busy feasting and visiting with the family and I expect most of you will be, too.

I took what I think is a somewhat better pic of this year's Christmas tree:


I really do need to take those drapes down and press them!

Shades of Christmas past, here's a photo of Mr. Don at Mom's house during Christmas, 2008.  Mom's little poodle, Penny, glued herself to Don's side during the entire visit:


And here is this year's version of the Christmas tree at Kegel's, a venerable family-owned German restaurant/bar on Milwaukee's south side (they have the best filet mignon in town):


A long-time friend, Ann, and I, go to Kegel's every season to admire the Christmas tree.  The owner does a brand new themed tree every single year and they are always spectacular!  This year's tree is absolutely gorgeous in person -- it just glows!  It is silver and gold, as you can see -- I should have taken some close-ups, the floral sprays are so beautiful.  We go to Kegel's and exchange our gifts (sometimes saving opening them for later), and have a good meal.

Then we go see the neighborhood decked out along "Candy Cane Lane."  The neighbors in the area decorate their houses and Santa, along with local and sometimes national celebrities, station themselves at the main intersection in the subdivision and collect donations to fight childhood cancer.  Since 1984 the neighbors have collected $1.6 million dollars, and it all goes to the MACC (Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer) Fund.  This year's displays were wonderful, and I think more houses participated this year, too (the relatively warmer weather this year and lack of snow certainly helped).

I didn't take any pictures -- Ann drives and I am not good enough to take photos from the moving car (even though we are going slow).  Below is a photo of one of the houses from this year's Wisconsin Hunger Task Force website (you can donate a canned good or cash at a special collection area):


Christmas is a time for family, sharing, community, and traditions.  We need Christmas!  I wish, like the reformed Mr. Scrooge, that people would keep it in their hearts 365 days a year.  Peace, love and harmony to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you! Enjoy your blog. Imagine how surprised I was to discover that you live in my area! I am sw of Milwaukee, in W county! I am 60, divorced and bought him out of the house, and working to update on a budget. Been here 22 years, and a huge yard. Admire you so, and so refreshing to find someone close to my age working on the house and decor. I enjoy many blogs, but no longer relate to the " the hubby" does this or that.. and I never called ex hubby a day in my life! Like you facing what to do in the next phase of my life, and how to pay for it too. I forgot about Kegels. I have lived here sine 1972. 20 years in Milwaukee, and 23 here! I am a WI girl.. from up north. Please keep posting! I am so sorry about Mr Don and how wonderful that he was in your life, and he yours. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan,
    A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you!!!
    I am so sorry that I have not been by sooner. I could not seem to get my act together this year. I just posted my One Little Word for 2015 post and that explains a lot of what I am talking about.
    LOVE your Tree!! So pretty!!
    I think I saw a house from Candy Cane lane on a past Great Christmas Light Fight.
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete