Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Look for Less: Dining Room from Traditional Home, Part 2

In an earlier post trying to get the look, below, for less, I left off after offering two different chair looks.  This fabulous look is from the May, 2012 edition of Traditional Home:


I had looked at some shield-back chairs but and chairs from other sources, but concluded that the best bargains and matches were the chairs I posted from overstock.com.

The remaining items that I want to try and duplicate for less are the chandelier, the rug, the wallpaper, and those gorgeous metal cranes.

The Cranes:

The inspiration cranes are very tall, as you can tell from the photo (40 to 50" maybe?), and they are vintage bronze and beautifully patinaed.  I suspect they were rather pricey.  I subscribe to Gump's online and also get their print catalogs in the mail. When I saw the inspiration photo, I was instantly reminded of cranes I'd seen in a recent Gump's catalog, and so I went looking for them, and found them, but they are shorter than those in the inspiration photo, and would probably need to be placed on pliths or pedastals to give them the necessary height and importance to anchor that area of the dining room.

This first pair of cranes from Gump's are on back-order, they have proven so popular!  The price is $199 for the pair (plus shipping).  Dimensions: 9"W x 29"H and 9"W x 36"H.



This second pair of crames, also from Gump's, are $149 for the pair (plus shipping) and are smaller/shorter:  15"H and 16 1/2"H.


Bellacor offers two different looks for a pair of crane "fountains" (image below, can be used without pumps as sculptures) - a bronze look and a verdigris finish.  They have the necessary height - 43" and are weighty - 40 pounds for the pair.  The price is $1,014 on special with free shipping (regularly $1,628).  As you can see, they have the height and the heft of the cranes in the inspiration photo, and a hefty price, too:


Crystal Fox Gallery also has some lovely bronze sculptures of cranes, I found this pair there:

They are very similar to the pair of bronze cranes in the inspiration photo.  The pair is $1,325, 46.5" H and 38"H - not sure about shipping (and insurance) charges for these original works of art. 

Chandelier:

The original is described as "Metropolitan White Porcelain Chandelier" #ME-N950127, Lightingshowroom.com."   This is a two-tier white Italian porcelain chandy by Metropolitan Lighting, $4,130, that has the same model number as the chandy in the inspiration photo:


I have seen this 15-light chandy at other vendors for somewhat less than $4,130, so if you want the original, you can find it for a few hundred less if you're willing to hunt around online.

This is an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous chandelier - somewhat more frou-frou than the one in the inspiration photo - priced at $2,990 from Lighting Showplace.  It is white porcelain.

My budget doesn't allow several thousand dollars for a chandelier, no matter how beautiful it is.  Such a chandy would also look rather ridiculous in my modestly sized and styled home.  So, looking at chandeliers within a price range I might be willing to pay will not yield the same look, but I don't need a 15-light chandy, either!  First up:


This is the Chella 5-light chandelier in frosted Argent White finish by Laura Ashley, from Home Depot for $258 and free shipping.  It has many less lights but gives the multi-tiered effect and, like the inspiration chandy, doesn't have a lot of excess bling but has great lines.

The chandy below is NOT white, but I absolutely fell in love with it anyway, which just amazes me because normally I'm not attracted to what I consider excessive bling, and this chandy has lots of bling!  What it is about this particular shandy I don't know, but it just really speaks to me. I have no idea if it could be painted white (to get more of the "look" of the chandy in the inspiration photo) - it has a lot of bling on it and I don't know if it could be removed to paint the chandy "frame" or not.  But, here it is anyway:

This is also from Home Depot, the Roxy Lighting Heritage 6-Light Chandelier, Aged Iron Finish with Crystal Light Pendants, for $169. Maybe it's the price as much as the chandy I find appealing :)

I also really like the look and feeling of this NOT white chandy, from Home Depot:

It's got such a light, airy feel to it despite the dark finish on its metal frame, and if it could be painted white, I think it would be a big WOW, but truth be told, I love it as it is.  Hampton Bay 5-Light Hanging Tuscana Copper Chandelier, for $189.
I found an antique white alternative chandy at Lowe's on line:

It the Bel Air Lighting 5-Light The Olde World Antique White Chandelier, for $124.  This chandy, while priced great and already white, does not present the same "tiered" effect as the three lower-priced chandys pictured above.  It does, however, feature classic lines and some glitter while maintaining a more modest "footprint."  "Spaceprint?"  Hmmm, let me rephrase that - it takes up less visual space than the inspiration chandelier and would be more suitable for a modest dining area (not really much of a separate room at all) like mine.

Another possibility is this blingy little pretty chandy:


Some of the crystals are colored pinky as you can see, but I find that oddly appealing :)  This is also from Lowe's, Westmore Lighting 3-Light Minique Antique White Chandelier, for $133.  It only has 3 lights.

I did not write down or compare the relative measurements of any of these chandeliers, so when shopping seriously one would have to note such things.  I was lazy.

Wallpaper and the area rug next!

No comments:

Post a Comment